Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Refreshing Summer Treats

I am always looking for ideas for something to serve my kids and their friends in the summer besides popsicles and those frozen icy things that come in a plastic tube (can you tell I have never bought them :0) It's not that I don't want my kids to have something sweet and refreshing, it's just the lack real food that bothers me so much. Most of those things are fake sugar, fake coloring and fake flavor... yuck.

Usually I make popsicle smoothies with the little popsicle forms you can buy, but they don't seem to be the "cool" thing to have now that my guys are a little older. I found a another great recipe from Clean Eating for lemon thyme granita. It takes about 30 minutes make and a couple hours to harden, with periodic fork scraping.

  • I mixed minced ginger, 12 thyme springs, agave, and water and brought it to a boil.
  • Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
  • Strain the ginger, Reserving liquid in a bowl. Let cool. 
  • Juice 2 lemons, strain pulp and any seeds that jumped in and add to ginger, water mixture. Add 2tsp of chopped thyme, mix and pour into something close to a 9x9 pan. 
  • Throw in the freezer and scrape with a fork after an hour and periodically after that.


Mine came out a little coarse, but VERY tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find More Information