Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Golden Harvest Muffins

I started making these when Brian was a toddler...an eternity ago. I love the muffins because they are relatively healthy and my kids and all their like minded non-vegetable eating friends (back when Brian only ate yogurt and frozen tortellini)  love these muffins.

It has been a while since I made these and I'm thrilled that I found this recipe when I was looking for something different to have for dinner. I'll be making them this weekend in a triple batch and freezing most of them for the boys to eat later. I'll post a picture after I make them!

Here is the recipe:

1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Granny Smith (or any other type of apple), peeled, cored and shredded
2 medium carrots, shredded
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar

Optional - Include any of the following to mix and match for whatever suits your taste:
1/2 shredded coconut
1/2 raisins, currents or dried cranberries
1/2 chopped walnuts, cashews, almonds or pecans
1/4 cup shredded zucchini or summer squash

  • Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffin pans with olive oil
  • Stir together all dry ingredients
  • Shred apple, carrot and squash if adding, into a separate bowl
  • In large mixing bowl combine oil. milk, vanilla and eggs. Beat for 1 minute, then add sugar and beat for an additional minute. 
  • Add half of dry ingredients, and then add apple carrot and squash (if using) mixture. Stir
  •  Add the rest of the dry ingredients
  • Add nuts, raisins and/or coconut
  • Mix to combine and drop into muffin pans
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes. 
Enjoy! And keep eating real food!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful recipe and great idea to freeze!
    Are you freezing the muffins or the dough?

    ReplyDelete

Where to Find More Information