Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Simplicity of Salad

We eat a lot of salad, at least a couple times a week for dinner and I frequently take salad for lunch. I love making salad because no two are ever the same. What goes in depends on the time of year and what I have on hand. To keep it easy I buy big tubs of spring mix or baby spinach at the grocery store. The tubs are easy because I literally throw a handful on everyone's plate or in my lunch container and add whatever else I feel like. If I have other lettuces from our CSA then I add that too, just for variation. My typical combination includes lettuce(s), some other veggies, cheese, nuts/seeds.

Too many times we get stuck doing the same old thing because it is easy and we just need to eat. Below are some of the things I put in my salads regularly. And remember this applies to any salad, pasta, chicken, tuna or other wise. Add a few walnuts to your fruit salad and taste the difference.

Veggies:
  • cucumber
  • fennel
  • carrots (usually the preshredded ones)
  • radishes
  • pepper
  • celery
  • mushrooms
  • asparagus (raw or cooked)
  • tomatoes (grape, cherry or otherwise)
  • cooked leeks
  • squash
    • zucchini, summer or cooked butternut
  • peas
  • snap peas
  • snow peas
  • sprouts
   Fruit
  • apples 
  • pears
  • raspberries
  • blueberries (dried and fresh)
  • dried cranberries
  • mandarin orange
  • clementines
  • cherries (dried and fresh) 
  • grapes
Nuts and Seeds:
  • walnuts
  • almonds
  • pecans
  • peanuts
  • cashews
  • sesame seed
  • sunflower seeds
  • flax seeds (grind first)
 Cheese: Just a little goes a long way! Think a tablespoon per person
  • cheddar
  • parmesean
  • bleu
  • gruyere
  • swiss
  • feta
Note: Please do not buy crumbled cheese. It tends to spoil more quickly and be of lesser quality

Beans
  • chick peas
  • black beans
  • cannelli
Note: I used Bush canned beans most of the time. The last time I read the ingredient label there was no salt added.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Only tonight Hayden and I were looking for something new for our salads. We ALWAYS include some kind of nut, cheese, fruit and spinach. Lately we've been stuck in a rut with cranberries, blue cheese (crumbled) and pecans. We thought about changing it up with beans. We even debated about the Canneli beans. And two hours later i read your blog. Well at least I'm inspired for tomorrow's salad.

    ReplyDelete

Where to Find More Information